Sunday, November 9, 2008

Hacking / Modding

The hacking/modding scene of any hardware is really interesting to get into. I've been out of it for a good while but it is cool to see what is new in these scenes. I used to heavily mod my PSP for hours on end, customizing it the way I want so I get more out of it. Unfortunately there are always consequences when you do something wrong. Apparently I can't update my firmware to any newer versions, so now I can't get anything new out of the community. That's mostly the reason I stopped using mine. The video games themselves were great as well, but most of the reason I bought one was for the ability to mod it.

I got into the iPhone hacking community for a short while, it was good when I was interested. As the new firmware releases debuted with the iPhone 3G, development slowed down for the customized firmware I was running on. The developer is still currently working on an upgrade for the newest firmware, but for now I'll have to stick with the older version. Although I don't have everything up to date, I realized I don't really need the newer perks that the latest version have since the current version does everything I want. It is a great piece of hardware to own (even when it isn't hacked), and I prefer it over all of the other phones out there. I haven't seen or read much about the T-mobile G1, but I heard it will have a lot of developer support real soon.

As soon as a new piece of hardware comes around, and it has a big modding community, I'll most likely look into it.

No comments: